Saturday, July 4, 2009

BAD DAY (for Mommy)

Since finding out what was wrong with Nate. He has been so excited to start taking his new medicine. When Dr. Dabbs was telling us about the Topamax he said, "I am going to prescribe him the Topamax Sprinkles, they are capsules that you can break open and sprinkle on ice cream." Well, I don't think he quite had Nate's attention until the moment he said ICE-CREAM!!! After that, He was ALL EARS
After we left the doctors office we went to absolutely every pharmacy in Jasper and NO ONE had it and said it would be next week until they could get it. SO we came home and I called around and still couldn't find it. Luckily Matt's aunt works at the Son's Pharmacy in Parrish and I called her and she said they would have it the next day. I went to pick it up and guess what? THEY DON'T ACCEPT OUR INSURANCE!!!!!!! The pharmacist said, "You could just pay for if you would like." I said, "Sure, how much is it?" I have a flex card with a $1500 dollar limit so I thought hey, a hundred dollars maybe even two won't be so bad. She said "SEVEN-HUNDRED EIGHT -FOUR DOLLARS." I could have died. I was SO upset... So I took the prescription back and went home. Matt's mom does a ladies nails from the Jasper store so she called her. I called them and gave them all of Nate's information and it went right through. So, they sent someone to the Parrish store to pick it up. She called me and said, "Its here run up here, give me the prescription and I will run it through and you will be in and out in no time." So I did and when I got there she was gone and they told me it would be an hour and a half wait. So I waited..... and waited ..... and waited..... Finally, they called me up there and I gave them my flex card and GUESS WHAT????? They don't accept them!!!! I mean it was only $41.30. But all I had was my flex card. No wallet. I forgot it at home. I was devastated. I ran to the car, got my cell phone and called Matt I was crying and SO upset I could barely talk. He said, "Baby, just come on home its 7:30 and they close in 15 minutes and I don't have time to get there. He will be okay tonight and we will get it tomorrow. CALM DOWN" Well, I turned around to look to see if there were any cars coming so I could leave and guess who drove up? My MOM AND DAD!!!! He had been to Urgent Care and was stopping by to get water. I don't think I had ever been so happy to see anyone. So I jumped out of the car and ran over there and he said, "What is wrong?" So I tried to tell them, while crying, by this time I was crying because I was so glad to see them. My Dad said, "Come on, lets go and get my little buddy's sprinkles."
When I got home, Nate met me at the car because he was ready for some ice cream with SPRINKLES. So we came inside and I got it out of the bottle and he said, "WHAT? That's not sprinkles, that's medicine. Don't them crazy people know that if they would make those sprinkles different colors little kids might like them?" (these were solid white) We got so tickled at him. He decided that he would be a big boy and just swallow it because he thinks bedtime is not a good time to be eating ice cream. I couldn't believe those words just came out of his mouth. Matt checked his forehead for fever! :) and said "Did he just say that?" And he did he popped it right in and swallowed it. Just like a BIG BOY!
He has now had 2 doses and I don't know how long it should take it to really get into his system and start working but, we only got up once last night. Yay!!! And today he was layed back and easy going. He wasn't hyper at all. Matt said that when he stared taking it, He could tell a difference in the way he felt immediately. Keep your fingers crossed that he will respond to it like they are hoping.

2 comments:

Amanda McCrory said...

Oh Jana I really hope this helps him I am so sorry you are going through so much I will keep you and your family in my prayers. I could not help but to smile when I read your dad pulled up he has always done anything he could for you and you have always been such a daddy's girl. I am glad he was there. I hope everything gets better keep us posted.

~~~~~ The House of Big Cheese~~~~ said...

I see you are in Alabama.

I am in Alabama too and have a son with epilepsy as well.

He was diagnosed at 8 months old and is now about to be 5.

So we are old pros at this. If you ever have any questions I m here.

It really is just trial and error with meds,etc.

The breakthrough for us was finding out the things that were triggering houston's seizures.

Jade